liquid v0.20 resolves several planned breaking changes we've been holding off on. This doesn't make us ready for 1.0 yet but this closes the gap significantly.

liquid-rust is a rust re-implementation of the liquid template engine made popular by the jekyll static site generator.


Conformance improvements

We're striving to match the liquid-ruby's behavior and this release gets us closer:

In addition, we've made it more clear what filters, tags, and blocks are a part of core liquid, Jekyll's extensions, Shopify's extensions, or our own extensions.

Improved API stability for liquid

The liquid crate has been stripped down to what is needed for parsing and rendering a template.

render can accept Rust-native types

Previously, you had to construct a liquid::value::Object (a newtype for a HashMap) to pass to render. Now, you can create a struct that implements ObjectView and ValueView instead and pass it in:

#[derive(liquid::ObjectView, liquid::ValueView, serde::Serialize, serde::Deserialize, Debug)]
struct Data {
    foo: i32,
    bar: String,

let data = Data::default();
let template = todo!();
let s = template.render(&data)?;

In addition to the ergonomic improvements, this can help squeeze out the most performance:

These improvements will be in the caller of liquid and don't show up in our benchmarks.

Other render ergonomic improvements

There multiple convenient ways to construct your data, depending on your application:

let template = todo!();

// `Object` is a newtype for `HashMap` and has a similar interface.
let object = liquid::Object::new();
let s = template.render(&object)?;

let object = liquid::object!({
    "foo" => 0,
    "bar" => "Hello World",
let s = template.render(&object)?;

// Requires your struct implements `serde::Serialize`
let data = todo!();
let object = liquid::to_object(&data)?;
let s = template.render(&object)?;

// Using the aforementioned derive.
let data = Data::default();
let s = template.render(&data)?;

String Optimizations

A core data type in liquid is an Object, a mapping of strings to Values. Strings used as keys within a template engine are:

Combining these together gives us the new kstring crate. Some quick benchmarking suggests

Future work

There is still a lot of room for improvement and contributors are most welcome:

I'm probalby going to slow down my rate of contributions as I shift my focus to other projects that this work helped unblock.

Highlights from past releases

Back in 2018 we had some major improvements that deserve to be called out, most especially work by Goncalerta, but I never finished my post.

New Parser

The parser in liquid-rust has been a hurdle for improvements.  It included a regex-based lexer and a random assortment of functions to parse the tokens. These functions were particularly a hurdle because logic was duplicated when it shouldn't, shared when it shouldn't, etc making it difficult to grok, extend, or refactor.

There are two big challenges with parsing in liquid:

Liquid has the concept of filters, plugins to modify a value:

{{ data | uniq | first }}

These are relatively simple.

In contrast, tags and blocks declare their own grammar, for both parameters and a block's content.

Standard include: {% include variable %}

In contrast, a Jekyll-style include would pass the variable as {{ variable }}.

Goncalerta took on the monumental task of replacing all of this with a pest-based parser written from the ground up.

No matter the parser library, language plugins are a chalenge.  In Pest's case, it has a grammar file that gets turned into Rust code.  For now, we've taken the approach of expressing all the parts of the native grammar and where plugins are involved, we expose more of a higher-level token stream than before. This does present a challenge that our parser has to support every feature of every plugin.

Conformance Improvements

What we did:

Regarding the jekyll library

Error Improvements

We've been iterating on the usability of template errors.  I blogged in the past on error handling in Rust and am finding the approach being taken here is offering a balance of good usability with relatively low overhead.

Specifically, some things we've done:


To help guide performance improvements, We ported handlebar's and tera's benchmarks to Liquid:

We've made quite a good number of performance improvements

These numbers were gathered on my laptop running under WSL.  To help show the variability of my computer, we included the baseline from both the old and new liquid runs.

Parsing Benchmarks

Library                        Liquid's parse_text Handlebar's parse_template  Tera's parsing_basic_template
Baseline Run                                  20,730 ns/iter (+/- 4,811)          24,612 ns/iter (+/- 8,620)
Liquid v0.13.7    2,670 ns/iter (+/- 992)       26,518 ns/iter (+/- 14,115)        24,720 ns/iter (+/- 12,812)
Liquid v0.18.0    1,612 ns/iter (+/- 1,123)     24,812 ns/iter (+/- 13,214)        19,690 ns/iter (+/- 9,187)

Rendering Benchmarks

Library        Liquid's render_text Handlebar's render_template  Tera's rendering_basic_templateTera's rendering_only_variable
Baseline Run             35,703 ns/iter (+/- 4,859)6,687 ns/iter (+/- 1,886)2,345 ns/iter (+/- 1,678)
Liquid v0.13.72,379 ns/iter (+/- 610)16,500 ns/iter (+/- 6,603)5,677 ns/iter (+/- 2,408)3,285 ns/iter (+/- 1,401)
Liquid v0.18.0280 ns/iter (+/- 60)11,112 ns/iter (+/- 1,527)2,845 ns/iter (+/- 1,216)525 ns/iter (+/- 186)  

Variable Access Benchmarks

Library        Tera's access_deep_objectTera's access_deep_object_with_literal
Tera Run 1    8,626 ns/iter (+/- 5,309)10,212 ns/iter (+/- 4,452)
Tera Run 2    8,201 ns/iter (+/- 4,476)9,490 ns/iter (+/- 6,118)
Liquid v0.13.713,100 ns/iter (+/- 1,489)Unsupported
Liquid v0.18.06,863 ns/iter (+/- 1,252)8,225 ns/iter (+/- 3,567)